Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Welcome to second grade!

Today was my first day in Ms. Zavieh's second grade classroom. I have 17 enthusiastic students who are excited and ready to learn. I have a range of high and low students and I am excited to get to know each one of them over the next 6 weeks. I didn't waste anytime with jumping into teaching the class today. I got to teach the higher level readers small group as well as teaching portions of math and science today. It was great to just jump in instead of observing for a whole day. Tomorrow I will be teaching the math lesson using the online textbook! Teaching with online textbooks is something new for me so I'm excited to see how the lesson goes.

Celebration K-8 school is completely different from my previous school placement in Ohio. Here there are 8 second grade classrooms, whereas in Ohio at Mapleton the school had 4 second grade classrooms! Another thing that is different is that the hallways are located outside instead of inside the school building. In Florida the classes are divided up into groups of four classrooms called "Prides." The classrooms are located together in an area and there are individual bathrooms, instead of having restrooms large enough for a class and there is a large open room in the middle that is used as a reading recovery area. I'm excited to continue my learning experience here at Celebration!

A shout out to my First grade classroom at Mapleton! I miss them dearly!

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you and can't wait to read more about your adventure. I look back on my student teaching and field experiences often. You can take something away from every good and bad experience or day you have. Good luck!
    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete